Sunday, January 16, 2011

Little by Little It's All Coming Together

I had intended to get a little further in my backyard plans, but I had miscalculated the amount of time and energy that sinking a post and painting trellises would take. I have to say that I was remarkably surprised at the little time it actually took to dig the post hole. With a great post digger, it really doesn't take that much time at all.  Thank goodness I was only sinking 2 poles, and with 2 people, it took about an hour.

My garden fence will separate the raised bed vegetable gardens from the grass area. It's kind of like a decorative fence, and once the morning glories grow over it, it will double as a privacy screen.

On Saturday, I must have been at Home Depot for about 3 hours, going back and forth, trying to collect everything on my list. Home Depot is like a candy store for me, because as soon as I walk in the door, I am stimulated to do yet another DIY project, and have a tendency to go off on a 1 hour tangent. This visit would have been no different, had I not had someone there to keep me on track.

I bought the paint, the fencing, post, gravel, concrete, post digger, a couple brushes and some hinges. Well, I had the feeling that the hinges would not work, and when I got home, I confirmed that they would not, so I had to take them back (they were $8 each after all). Luckily, I did have an alternative in mind.

We barely got all the goods in my CRV. Now, if you can imagine 8-foot fencing that is just a little wider than my car is wide - this was a challenge. To top it off, I did not have much in the way of breakfast (just a couple cups of coffee) and anyone who knows me, knows that I tend to get impatient and cranky when things don't go as planned. THIS was one of those days.

As soon as we got the fencing in the car, I heard something heavy drop...it was the can of paint that I just purchased...and it was all over the pavement (the can had openned). Needless to say I was PISSED. But much to my surprise, I held it together, went back into the store and they gave me a new can without charging me. (Home Depot, you are wonderful!!!)

Finally got home and started painting the fence panels and posts. It took about 2 hours. After a day of painting, and a morning of post sinking, this is what my backyard looks like. I realize it's not much, but if you can imagine more greenery around the red, you might get the full idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

What I've learned these past 3 weekends....Landscaping is nothing but baby steps....



No comments:

Post a Comment