Monday, July 13, 2009

Healthy Carrot cake recipe (for my fellow RAW foodies)

Namaste Foodies!!

So, I'm not sure if that most of you know, but I got a new doc who is also a kinesiologist. He put me on this detox diet because I had a high level of heavy metals in my system. And then when I told him that I drank tap water, he was aghast! That's where most metals come from...and Brita filters DON'T filter metals.

At any rate, the initial week of this cleanse/detox was murderous. As a rule, I don't usually eat refined/processed carbs, and don't usually have an issue ignoring them. But the day I started this cleanse, BOY was I in Trouble! All I could think about was bread! I could not understand it.

But back to the carrot cake. So, after having stomach issues last Friday/Sat, I decided I was only eating raw for this coming week. As a result, I made a carrot cake. But not just any carrot cake, it's made from raw vegies, nuts and fruits (even the sauce!). I LOVE gourmet raw food!!

To Prep:
You WILL need a juicer, because you need to juice about 1 lb of carrots for the pulp and the juice. This will yield about 1 c of juice and 1 c of pulp.

I soaked about 20 jumbo dates in warm water for 2 hours in prep.

Soak cranberries or raisins (whichever you prefer)

Soak 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts or cashews

The crust:
Chop up about 1/2 of almonds in food processor
pit dates and chop up dates in food processor (they should be soft and plump after soaking)

knead dates and almonds together (it should be like a firm dough) and press into dish/cakepan or pie dish (like you would with pie crust).

The Cake:
These are your wet ingredients
1 cup of pitted dates (pre-soaked)
1/8 c of fresh ginger
1 c fresh coconut meat (from a REAL coconut)
BLEND these items in blender and add carrot juice slowly so that it doesn't get too runny or too dry. It should become a smooth paste.

These are your dry ingredients
Carrot pulp
3/8 c cranberries or raisins
1 c walnuts
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Toss these in a bowl, then add wet ingredients

Pat this into the dish with crust.

For orange sauce:
Juice 1 cup orange juice
1 Tblspn orange rind
1 Tblspn Lemon rind
1/2 cups of pre-soaked pitted dates
2 Tblspn lemon juice
2 Tblspn cashew or almond butter
BLEND in blender until smooth

For Cream sauce (I LOVE this sauce):
BLEND in blender- 1 1/2 cups pre-soaked walnuts or cashews with 1/2 c fresh squeezed orange juice and 2 Tblspns maple syrup. I also added alcohol free vanilla extract for taste

Please note: you MUST use only fresh ingredients. No substitutions with canned for "shortcuts" or the end result will be bitter and the cake and sauces will taste TERRIBLE.

Bon Appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment